FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Where do miniature donkeys come from?
They are native to the Mediterranean Islands – Sicily and Sardinia.
2. How tall can miniature donkeys be?
Miniature donkeys are 36" and under at the withers.
3. How long does a miniature donkey live?
With proper conditions it is not rare for a donkey to live 35-40 years.
4. What is a jack?
A jack is an unaltered male donkey.
5. What is a jenny or jennet?
Both terms apply to a female donkey.
6. What is a gelding?
A gelding is a castrated jack.
7. What is a foal?
A foal is a term for a baby donkey of either sex.
8. Can miniature donkeys be trained?
Yes. Miniature donkeys are easily trained to pull a cart, carry a pack, and show. Small children can ride them as well.
9. Can I have just one miniature donkey?
No! Miniature donkeys are very social. They develop strong bonds and should never live a life of solitude. A pair is best, but a horse or a pony may also work.
10. How much do miniature donkeys eat?
Amounts are determined by the individual. Generally 2-3 flakes of hay, 1-2 cups of low protein grain, and free choice of fresh water and salt.